Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dragonfruit!

Hi! wow, it has been a while since my last post and I'm sorry. I had pneumonia, then life kind of got away from me for a while, but I am back with a whole new experience! Dragonfruit!
This gorgeously PINK dragonfruit is in season here on Okinawa. You can find them now verging on super ripe at most farmer's markets and usually marked down. The yen rate has been taking a toll on us so I have not been out shopping but I was very lucky when a co-worker brought some of these beauties in and offered to share! What good fortune! If you like kiwi, you will like this fruit.
The inside has a texture much like a Kiwi minus the tart and kind of tough part at the center. It is light and juicy and only slightly sweet. When cold out of the fridge, it is the perfect refreshment on a hot humid summer day (and we have plenty of those!)  I adore these, I want to buy them everywhere and eat them on the spot! Not only are they delish, but they are pretty too! the hot pink outer layer yielding to the soft white inside and the contrasting black seeds, it's beautiful. It's also a cactus fruit. Hmmm, I wonder what it would taste like as a jam or jelly!
By the way, I just want to make a side note, the pink color here inspired me, for those of you who know me well, my mom is going through Chemo therapy currently and fighting a courageous and seemingly successful battle with breast cancer. It has brought a lot of perspective to my life, how much I love my mom and don't think I can live without her at this point in my life, how much I love my own child and how short our lives here can be, and how strong and harrowing one human soul can prove to be when pushed to the limits. My mom is my best friend, she is my mom, and she is my hero. I love you mom and I ask everyone who reads this post to pray for her continued success in this fight. With the Lord on our side, we can do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment